When did Internet start?

From the point of view of an ordinary user, the Internet is a tool of exchange of digital information. From a technical point of view, it is billions of computers around the world connected by wires into a single Network. Wires connect the continents and billions of users into one. The Internet is a tremendous repository of knowledge, a way of sharing personal experiences.

global network

The humanity has gone through many years until the creation of the Internet, inventing new and new means of communication: the invention of the first telegraph (1836); the first Atlantic cable for connection between continents (1858); the invention of the telephone (1876).

In 1957 when Soviet Union launched the first satellite, President of the USA Eisenhower issued a decree on establishing an Agency of advanced research projects (ARPA), which collected the most brilliant scientists of the United States. A few years later, this agency focused its activities on the use of computers for communication needs in military services.


The beginning of these studies put Dr. Licklider, who became the head of the project of the use of computer technology for military purposes in 1962. He organized the non-military private research firms and universities and put the beginning of the ARPANET. The first computer networks "conversation" took place in 1969 between the University of Los Angeles, Stanford Research Institute, the University of Santa Barbara and The University of Utah.

internet worldwide

The plan was like this: Professor Kleinrock from Los Angeles with his students hoped to log in to the Stanford computer and transfer some data. They started typing on the keyboard the word "login" and were asking on the phone if their colleagues from Stanford saw the letters on the monitor. They successfully handed the letters L and O. When they printed the letter G, the communication system failed, and the revolution in communication began.

READ ALSO: Internet fraud in Nigeria

By 1971, was established a network with 23 users in different parts of the United States. In 1972, ARPANET was first demonstrated to the public. In 1973, the network the University College in London and Public service of Norway connected with the network and began to develop the idea of creating the Internet and the invention of the E-mail.

In 1977, the number of Internet users had reached 100, in 1984 there were 1000, in 1986 there were already more than 5,000, and in 1989 there were more than 100,000. In 1991, a project called World-Wide Web (WWW) was implemented. In 1997, there were already 19.5 million users of the Internet.


Interesting facts about the Internet:

  • Approximately one-third of Global web users go online in search of the entertainment, 20% are looking for a short or long relationship, 15% to study, earn money or simply communicate.
  • The first electronic smiley was "blind" and consisted only of a nose and a smile. The colon representing the eyes came a few years later. :-)
  • Avatar is not just a picture, but a "face" of the user that can reveal his character. The darker the image, the more difficult a person's character is. If you see someone's blog or profile have Darth Vader on the avatar, don't expect the owner of the page to be adorable in life.
  • The writing can reveal a lot about the nature of the character, even if you read a short message on Twitter, or communicate through ICQ. For example, the more dots your partner puts in the offer, the more he is prone to depression. If his texts are full of spelling errors, maybe he's just trying to cover the gaps in punctuation.
  • Every minute YouTube uploads 20 hours of video recording. But only 1% of its content has real value. The remaining 99% is only interesting to those who uploads it.
  •  Whose page on "Facebook" is visited most often? According to a survey, first place was taken the company "Coca-Cola," the second was Barack Obama, the third is the "sweetest" page of the company "Nutella."

Your comment
Add image

By posting your comment, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.