Is it true that coconut oil can lighten your skin tone? How can you achieve the best results with it? Learn more about such coconut uses from our article.
We have heard a lot lately about how certain products can do magic. For once, we have heard rumours that coconut oil lightens one’s skin tone. Thus, we got interested into whether or not such information is trustworthy.
Everyone is striving to have that gorgeous light skin tone. However, it feels like it is only possible for those superstars are able to pay huge money for services of this kind. Nevertheless, we have decided to help you and find out whether an affordable thing like coconut oil can be of any help to you in your pursuit of lighter skin.
So, can coconut oil lighten your skin?
Among tonnes of coconut oil uses for skin whitening effect is one of the most popular ones. We all know that skin tone mainly depends on the pigments known as melanin, which is produced by melanocyte skin cells. So, the more the melanin pigment produced, the darker the skin will be.
So, we owe our skin tone to genes. However, prolonged exposure to sun rays, environmental pollutants, hormonal imbalances, dry skin, more usage of cosmetics, unhealthy diet and lifestyle, etc. are also some potent causes of dark coloration of the skin.
Before we proceed to explain how exactly coconut can lighten your skin, you should know what else it can do for you.
Organic coconut oil benefits
1. Vitamin E and antioxidants in coconut oil help skin cells become more healthy. This is magnificent to your skin, as it makes your skin wash away and gives room for new skin cells to grow.
2. This oil keeps your skin moisturised and nourished thanks to a pack of useful nutrients in it.
3. Given its other useful components, it gets deep into one’s skin and prevents infection penetration. Thus, it can prevent things like psoriasis, eczema, dry skin, itching, sunburn, acne and bug bites along with scars on the skin to get even skin tone.
4. It prevents any inflammations and treats the damaged and irritated skin areas.
5. It has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties which boost up the immune system and fights against the bacteria, fungi and other microbes causing skin infections and irritations.
READ ALSO: What are the benefits of eating coconut?
6. It helps you get rid of the scars or any other causes of uneven skin tone.
Thus, as you see this cosmetics can help you in your pursuit of lighter skin. And here are several ways of how you can do this.
How to use coconut oil for skin whitening?
1. “Take some coconut oil (better if it’s organic) and put it on the dark skin zones. Go to bed with leaving it on your skin. Before going to bed, make sure to massage it nicely into your skin with circular motions. Wash it off in the morning with warm water. Do the same procedure day after day until the desired result is achieved.
2. Mix a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon and two spoons of coconut oil. Then stir it up and put on your skin for at least a quarter an hour. Use a cotton ball for this purpose. Then wash everything off with warm water. You are likely to see the results of this method after some time of repeating this procedure over and over again.
3. Another idea is to mix equal quantities of lemon juice (acts as natural astringent) and coconut oil along with one teaspoon of flour to make a paste. Apply it as a mask on dark and uneven skin tone. Rinse off after 10 – 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
4. Another recipe which will coconut oil recipes for whitening your skin requires the following ingredients: 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, two teaspoons of raw honey and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice. Put such a paste on a washed skin especially in the areas where the skin tone is not even. After keeping it there for at least a quarter an hour, wash it off with warm water.
5. Use turmeric for this purpose. As an idea, you can take one-fourth of a table of turmeric powder, a spoon of honey, one spoon of coconut oil and two spoons of flour. Make a paste out of this and out it on your face. In twenty or twenty-five minutes wash it off with warm water. They say that after using this method on a regular basis, coconut oil lightens skin tone.
6. Alternatively, one can mix 1 – 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder in sufficient amount of coconut oil to make a fine paste and apply this paste on the black and uneven skin tone areas. Leave it for few minutes to overnight and wash with lukewarm water.
7. Take one spoon of baking soda, half a spoon of lemon juice, several drops of tea tree oil and one-eighth a spoon of coconut oil. Make a paste out of these ingredients and apply it on clean skin. Only leave it there for several minutes before you wash it off using warm water. They say that it’s better to use such paste as the scrub. You should not use this mask more frequently than once or twice a week.
A few things to remember when using coconut oil for lightening your skin tone
1. Only use organic coconut oil for these purposes, as law-quality oil can damage the skin surface or even cause inflammation.
2. One should use such masks on a regular basis if aiming for the perfect skin tone. As, when used randomly and not regularly, such procedures have no effect.
3. One can also use natural coconut milk and water to whiten the skin, as they are known for being helpful here as well.
4. Make sure to consult your dermatologist before applying coconut oil for skin, as you might be allergic to it.
5. Everything in moderation applies here perfectly. Since using too much of the pastes mentioned above can be dangerous for your skin, make sure not to underestimate the negative consequences this oil can have for your skin.
All in all, we know many examples of how coconut oil did not work or sometimes damaged the skin tone. That’s why we highly encourage people to use it in moderation, especially when it’s combined with lemon juice or other substances of this kind.
Meanwhile, we’re also aware of numerous good reviews of using this substance for skin whitening.