How bad is snoring for your health? Why should you illuminate this bad habit out of your life? What causes snoring?
It might not be just an example of a bad habit. If snoring happens frequently, then it can make a great influence on quantity and quality of the sleeping and overall health. Snoring may cause problems not only for you but also for your roommates and loved ones. Returning to the health problems for snoring, it can cause headaches and fatigue during the daytime. Your snoring keeps the partner of yours awake all night. Therefore, you provide bad dreaming not only to yourself but also to the members of your family and close partners. It also creates a major problem for the relationship. The solution for this problem can`t be found in separate sleeping and separate rooms for sleeping.
How can you defy snoring?
Snoring comes to pay in times where you can`t breathe freely through your mouth or nose when sleeping. The surrounding tissue vibrates and produces this familiar snoring sound. People who have this issues have a floppy tissue that is more prone to vibrate and produce snoring. The tongue can also be a problem for snoring. In the very beginning of snoring it should be identified the problem why you started snoring. Therefore, to find snoring remedies, it`s necessary to find particular snoring causes.
What causes snoring?
As it was mentioned, snoring occurs in the nose and mouth when the airflow is physically obstructed. The combination of factors can be a severe reason for snoring:
- Nasal airways obstructed. Some people may have to snore during allergy and fly seasons. The snoring can be provided with a structural change in the wall that separates nostrils. Another reason for snoring is nasal polyps that can easily cause obstruction.
- Tongue and throat poor muscle tone. These muscles can be relaxed during sleep; sometimes they can be too relaxed and get on the way for airflow. This can be caused by too deep sleep, consumption of alcohol and sleeping pills. It gives further relaxation for the muscles of throat and nose.
- Bulky throat. The other reason for snoring. It`s caused by overweight and tonsils with adenoids.
- Soft uvula or palate. A long uvula or long soft palate can simply narrow the airflow through nose and throat. The obstruction can easily provide you snoring.
- Age. When you reach the age of 40 and beyond, your throat becomes narrower. It also means that muscle tone in your throat decreases. Nevertheless, there are many things you can do to stop snoring from happening, like new bedtime routines, lifestyle changes and throat exercises.
- Body build specifics. Men have narrower airflow passages in nose and throat, and they are more likely to snore. The physical attributes that can certainly contribute snoring are enlarged adenoids, a cleft palate, narrow throat. Snoring can also be a heredity attribute. Nevertheless, if you don`t have control over your body built and gender, you may take control over your lifestyle, bedtime routines, and right throat exercises.
- Alcohol, medications, and smoking. These little bastards may help you to get more relaxed throat muscles, which provides addition blockage to airflow and cause snoring.
- Sleep posture. If you sleep flat on your back, then you cause addition blockage of airflow, which causes snoring. You would need to change your sleep position.
What health risks
Serious sleep problems can be provided by snoring. One of the main problems that can be provided with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea provides many problems, like:
- Interruption of breathing. It can be just a few seconds and few minutes. If calculate, it can be up to few hours of life with no breathing.
- You may not realize it, but snoring causes awake during sleep. Few times during one night.
- Light sleeping. It`s contrary to deep sleep, where you can meet much more positive views. It`s more relaxing and more fruitful for your health.
- Strain heart problems. If you have prolonged suffering from night snoring, then you might have problems with blood pressure and your heart. Prolonged apnea may provide you higher risks of heart attacks and strokes.
- Poor night’s sleep. This may leave you with diseases and add more problems to the life.
What are the causes that can help you to find snoring cure?
People may have problems with snoring for completely different reasons. It`s needed to get to the bottom of the snoring to understand these reasons. Therefore, the right solution can only be found for qualities of sleep. You would need a help of your partner. He/she may help you to enlist the reasons and time of snoring. You may also make a sleeping diary to monitor your snoring.
You may bump into many interesting anti-snoring devices that are available on the market. Therefore, it`s hard to find the right device for your snoring problem. Nevertheless, you may find a plenty of proven techniques to get rid of snoring issues. Not every snoring remedy might be right for certain persons. It may require some changes in lifestyle and the willingness of the patient for the changes might be crucial.
Snoring lifestyle changes
Overweight? Try to lose some weight. If you can drop at least few pounds of weight, then you may decrease the volume of tissues in the back of your throat. Moreover, overweight leads to other more crucial problems with life.
One of the great methods to feel that you are more alive. Physical exercises may help you to feel free out of snoring. It may add your losing weight problem. Try to exercise your arms, legs, abs. Keeping your muscles in tone may get you nights with less snoring. You may also use specific exercises with your throat to strength the muscles in that area.
It`s easy to say than to accomplish, but it`s necessary if you wish to stop snoring. Smoking is the main irritator of membranes in your nose and throat, which can easily block the airflow. You may try many methods to quit smoking as it also provides additional issues to your life.
No sedatives, alcohol and sleeping pills
One of the main reasons to get rid of this habits is their providing snoring issues. They help muscles of the throat to relax and get additional blockage to airflow. If you are prescribed medications, which have an extra effect of snoring, then try to talk to your doctor about asking new sets of pills that do not cause these problems.
Regular sleep patterns
You would need to create some healthy rituals before your bedtime, to feel when you need sleep. Your body will adapt to these rituals and will be ready to sleep. It will help you to sleep better and minimize snoring.
Clear your nasal passages
If you happen to have a stuffy nose, then you would need to clear sinuses before your bedtime. Try to use nasal decongestants to breathe easily. If you have allergies, then try to reduce pet dander and dust mites in your bedroom. You would also need to take some allergy medications.
Moist air in your bedroom
If you have dry air in your bedroom, then it`s possible that it may irritate membranes of your throat and nose. Therefore, try to keep your bedroom moist.
Sleeping position changes
One of the best sleeping positions to provide snoring effect is to lie flat on your back. Therefore, try to change it. There are special pillows that may help you to stay in the right position for sleeping. You would need to sleep on your side, rather than on your back. You may try special tricks not to get on your back while sleeping. Try to place a tennis ball on the part of your bed, where you certainly would lie on your flat back. The discomfort that causes your tennis ball will make you return back to your sleeping side position. You may also use some ropes and bond these ropes to your T-shirt or sleep pajamas and the side of your bed. Alternatively, you may try to bond a pillow stuffed with tennis balls to your back and every time you get to the backside; you may find that you are discomfort. Therefore, it`s needed to change position. With time, you will get used to the sleeping habits and with time get rid of the pillow and ropes.
Antisnoring mouth appliance
This device is often used as athlete`s mouth. It can help to open your airflow by keeping your jaw, tongue, and mouth forward. The dentist's kits might be expensive so that you might get a look to the self-made snoring remedy.
Throat exercises and snoring remedies
- You would need to repeat vowels, like u,o, I,e,a for few times a day for five minutes.
- Try to place your tongue on your top forward teeth and then slightly place it back to your throat. Repeat this action during few minutes.
- Try to purse your lips with closed mouth during 30 seconds.
- Try to contract your muscles of your back throat for thirty seconds.
Medical remedies for treatment of snoring
You may try self-help solutions to get rid of snoring, but if you get no success, then you might also get to the medical treatment of snoring. Our technology world does not stop at the same position all the time, and snoring remedies continue to be more advanced than ever. Even if the doctors in the past could recommend something completely discomfort for night sleeping, it does not mean that the same is true for now. You may try to consult your physician to get rid of problems of snoring. Try to also consult an otolaryngologist. They may recommend you medical help or devices, like:
- Traditional surgery. Thermal Ablation, Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, adenoidectomy or tonsillectomy will help you to increase the airway sizes of yours on the surgical level. It may also correct abnormalities of your throat and illuminate additional tissue.
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. This machine may help you to keep the airways floating. It`s a mask that you wear over your face and nose during sleep.
- Palatal implants. It involves small plastic implants into the soft palate. This will help to prevent the soft palate from collapse and cure snoring.
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty. This procedure includes using a laser to make your uvula shorten. It also provides small cuts of the soft palate from sides. When the cuts heal, the soften palate will harden and prevent any vibration for snoring.
- Somnoplasty. It may help you to remove tissues of the uvula with heating radiofrequency. The procedure takes about thirty minutes under the local anesthesia.
Snoring as more serious problem for life
Snoring can be just a first step to the much-complicated issues with sleeping. One of the most complicated sleeping disorder that can cause snoring might be sleep apnea or sleep relating breathing problems. You would need to consult a doctor if you notice the problems immediately, like:
- You or your partner fall asleep when it`s not necessary, there is no appropriate time, like during conversations and meals.
- You stop breathing in sleep, you choke or gasp.
- You may snore very loud and can easily get tired during the day.
To understand the very root of your problems with trouble sleeping, the specialist may require you to get some sleeping tests. It may be a home-based test with you wearing a portable monitor to find out the way of your life. It can also be Monitoring during one day of your sleep in the laboratory.
Snoring and relationship
It does not matter how much you love your partner, as snoring can create a certain barrier for both of you. If you are a partner of a snorer, then you may feel tired, irritated and restless during the day. If you are a snorer, then you may feel some problems related to the feeling guilty and helpless with your snores. You may also feel irritated as your partner can constantly give you notes about the snoring. The tensions may grow into:
- A separate room is sleeping. It might be quite a solution for many couples. Moreover, many people practice this sleeping with their partners and do not feel any problems. For others, it may cause problems with intimacy. The partners might feel lonely and isolated due to separate sleeping.
- Being irritatable. People who might cause some problems with snoring might also blame each other. The reason is simple, not enough sleeping. The snorer can`t get enough sleeping as snoring can provide him/her this luxury. The partner of the snorer can`t get enough sleeping because of a snorer.
- The resentment of partner. Partners may feel like that they do everything to combat the snorer, but the snorer does not desire to get any cure for the snoring. Therefore, it causes many problems of combating not only the snore but each other. It can be the problem for the partners, which can be caused separate relations.
Talking out snoring problems
- Try to talk carefully. Do not get easy to the morning conversations and other problems connected to the life with the snorer.
- Keep in your mind that he or she is not responsible for causing you troubles during your sleep. Try to feel your partner and get easy on him or her.
- Do not lash out. You wouldn`t need to destroy the relationship with your partner because of snoring. You can fight this enemy together and get rid of everything connected with snoring.
- Use humor to work out the situation of your snoring. Humor is a unique remedy for all difficult situations in your life.
If you are a snorer
- Try to think about snores as a physical problem that you are unlucky to get. It`s like a common cold or pulled a muscle. It will work out with your desire and intentions.
- Not take personally your snoring issues. You are not the person to blame. You do not desire to create any discomfort. Your partner is your love, she/he also loves you, then do not avoid the problem of snoring.
- Take complaints of your partner seriously. She/he also suffers from your snoring. Then try to get avoid this snoring effect.
- Talk about prioritizing relationships. Try to make clear to your partner, that relationships are important for you and you get rid of your snors.
- No moodiness. Even if you feel dizzy because of your bad sleeping and snoring – do not become angry of that. Stress or irritation may only help you to add more problems. Relax, change your lifestyle, talk with your partner.
- READ ALSO: How to stop snoring?