In our article we will show you very simple tutorials, so you learn quickly how to paint on plastic cups and create the most fun and original decorations.
Different kinds of materials, tools and plastic ornaments abound our homes. They are useful in everyday life and very cheap if we take care of the economy of our pocket.
So what should you know before starting paint on plastic?
There are four main steps in this work:
- Cleaning the surface
- Rubbing the surface
- Painting on the plastic
- Applying of protective sealant
The plastic cups and tumblers are one of many versatile items to have in the house. They are not only the best if we speak about giving drinks to children (because you cannot break them so easily), but you also can use them as candy plates, vases for flowers or small containers for bath products. If you want something more elegant than an ordinary plastic glass, you can decorate your glass painting it with acrylic paint after only a little preparation. Children and adults alike can decorate plastic cups, and most supplies are available at craft stores.
- First, cover the surface with plastic or paper to preserve it. Use latex gloves to protect the glass from greasy hands or wash your hands carefully before the process.
- Wash the glass inside and out with soap detergent used to remove all the grease and dust. Clean and wipe the glass with alcohol gel to remove any oil and dry it completely.
- Spray the glass with a plastic base primer to help the acrylic paint to adhere to the plastic. Let the spray dry for in few minutes and clean off any excess of it.
- Draw a design/any picture on the glass with a fine-point permanent marker. Use a pen similar to glass color to avoid the visible lines when the paint job is finished.
- What is the best paint to use on plastic tumblers? Paint the picture with acrylic paints, starting with the color that will highlight the edges. Use a clean, dry synthetic brush for each new color. You must apply the paint smoothly and evenly to achieve a desirable finish. If you go to apply paint over another color, let the original color dry completely to prevent smudging. Clean brushes immediately with soap and water to prevent clumping of paint on them.
- Add detail to the drawing using permanent markers. Then, let the paint dry completely.
- Sprinkle a layer of sealant in the glass and let it dry. Repeat this process two or more times, letting the sealer dry between each application.
- Well done, you have finished!
Paint your glass and create a real masterpiece
To paint glass vessels is a simple task that can be finished in a day. Get ready to create your glassware, unique and unrepeatable.
Let your imagination pour like a stream of fantasies and transform a glass into a work of art. Use them as gifts for birthdays, weddings and anniversaries. Painting on glass is a natural activity that children can do too.
Among the things you need there are:
- Transparent glass cups
- Glass cleaner or alcohol
- Enamel conditioner for surfaces
- Acrylic glass paint
- Two sponges.
- Clean the glasses with glass cleaner or alcohol. Use a sponge to apply a thin layer of enamel surface conditioner on the outside of the vessel; this will help the paint to lay better on the glass.
- Then, choose a design. Use pictures from magazines or silkscreened images for inspiration. For example, use a gardening magazine as a guide to make flowers. The clip art is simpler to copy because it is usually a simple image guide. For more help, paste the image into the glass and follow the design.
- Put small amounts of acrylic paint in small plastic cups. Use flat brushes to make the design on the outside of the glass. Quickly clean the errors with the tip of a wet sponge. To change colors, rinse the brush in the bowl with water. Trace the outline of the design with a fine brush. Let the paint dry for at least 48 hours.
- Place the cups on a baking sheet. Take them to the oven warmed to 160-180 degrees. Bake vessel for 10 minutes to let the paint set steadfastly. Turn off the oven and leave the door closed until cool. This will prevent the vessels from damage. After that, take the glasses away from the oven.
As you can see, there is a little difference between drawing on the plastic or glass cups, because you may use the same type of paint. But still, to make it in the best way you must follow all the instructions.
Note: These glasses are not suitable for washing in a dishwasher.
DIY: how to change and prepare your glasses for a birthday or a special breakfast
We propose a simple and quick way to decorate cups and glasses for a party or dinner with friends, and it is also a great activity that you and your children can do together. Another interesting thing is that it is simple to personalize and beautify your table for a themed dinner, lunch with guests, a birthday party or a wedding. And all you need is learn how to draw flowers, figures, add names, whatever you want. So now it is time to customize your glasses, here is a step by step explanation.
It is very straightforward and quick! First of all, you must think what prints you are going to draw on the glass, and you can add funny phrases, kawaii kittens, bears or rabbits or prints, friezes, flowers or borders. And after this – just paint!
- If you are confused a little bit and do not know what to draw, you will find a lot of ideas on the Internet.
- If you are not sure that you will do everything greatly at once, draw your print on paper at first with a soft pencil.
- Use a soft pencil, when you put the picture against the glass
Before you start, we will tell you four main things about the pen:
- The pen must have a bright ink with a thick tip, 2 or 4 mm
- Made with an aqueous base, it is suitable for porcelain, glass, and metal
- There are a lot of brands making paint pens you can use both for glass or plastic
- Keep in mind that if you mess up, you can always go back with a rag or sponge soaked with alcohol, as long as the ink is still wet