This world could not exist without love… But what are the best definitions of love, given by ancient and modern philosophers? What secrets you should know to be happy in love? Find out from this article.
Love – is the foundation of life, the energy that binds the universe together. There is no single definition of love. Everyone understands it in his own way. There are different kinds of love, even though we usually mean by it the relationships between man and woman. In fact, love is multifaceted. It includes the wide range of emotional shades. For example, the mother's tender care about her child, the joyful communication between two friends, the wild passion between lovers, and even your believe in God and the pride for your country… This is all love, in it's various forms and manifestations.
From Ancient Greece to nowadays: love meaning
The ancient Greek philosophers distinguished the following types of love: eros, ludus, storge, pragma, agape and mania. This system is actual nowadays. So:
- Eros – «love-passion», the desire of the complete physical possession.
- Ludus – «love like a game, a game for fun». In such a form it is rather superficial, so cheating on both sides is allowed.
- Storge – «love-friendship» based on the tenderness, warmth, trusting relationships.
- Pragma – «ludus» and «storge» together. Not very deep feeling, but the warmth and safety elements take place. This is the love of convenience. Not a marriage of convenience and the love for money. Such love is easy to rational control. As the name implies, this love is pragmatic. With elements of benefits (not always necessary - material). Can arrange a chat with this person, his personal qualities, sexual dignity, and so on. It can even be love in return for the love of the one you love.
- Agape – «sacrificial love», the selfless dedication, the dissolution of loving in caring for a loved one. It includes everything – passion, and tenderness, reliability and utter devotion. This type does not occur very often. But there is another side of the coin. If a man who loves a woman in this way suddenly becomes the object of love, the meaning of his life can be lost forever.
- Mania – is the set of «eros» and «ludus». This is an irrational love-obsession. It is uncertainty and dependence on the object of love. It is the feeling that breaks people's lives, destroys families ... This love is impossible, and this form is destructive. The mania sooner or later can turn into another type. When love disappears, only hatred or indifference remain. There are many couples where such attitude and feelings last for years and decades. But in order to live and be happy, we must be clear from masochism, If you do not like sufferings, you need to take this style of love an emergency or temporary measure until your relations reborn in another, more innocent style.
Love dictionary: 5 languages of love you should know to be happy
In addition to the forms of love, there are 5 different languages of love. The author Gary Chapman turns out that people speak different languages of love! The language in which you express your love may be different from your partners. And very seldom you speak the same language with your beloved person. Each uses his own and wonders why he or she is not heard. No matter how carefully you try to express your feelings, but if your wife speaks only Chinese, you did not realize how much you love each other…
Differences in language – is an integral part of the culture of mankind. If we want to be effective in dialogue and overcome cultural barriers, we must learn the language of those with whom we want to communicate. Love can manifest in different ways. So here are the five basic emotional love languages – the five ways in which people express and perceive love:
- The words of encouragement
The knowledge of what language is the key for your partner, gives you an opportunity to make him happy; and thus improve your relationships. For example, if your husband's languages of love are «time» and «touching», even an hour spent together in a warm conversation and a massage before bedtime will show how much you appreciate him.
Please, remember that actions speak louder than words…
Love culture and love poetry
Love is one of the most bright and strong feelings, that inspires the thousands of artists, writers, singers and poets all over the world. The culture of love goes back to the Middle Ages, when the noble knights performed feats for the sake of the beautiful ladies, devoted them poems, and sang the serenades under their balconies…
Now I want to give you a sonnet of the most famous medieval poet William Shakespeare, which perfectly reflects this high feeling:
What do I want the stars at night black?
What I am turquoise?
I would prefer all the luminaries,
I would read them without error,
Where we will take the time,
And for one of your smiles
Foresaw it all:
Earthquake and War
End of an era, the beginning of troubles,
And turbulent year, and the year calm
And the final judgment …
And yet, if you are with me;
I do not care about the rest.
Let's think about love… Indeed, the poem reflects the real, true emotion man feels to woman.
This is not what we mean by jealousy, hatred, scandals, intrigues… This is not the passion and affection coming from ego. It is sacral, tender, deep, clear feeling that brings us to God…
Here is a quotation from Bible that describes love, to which we should strive in our hearts.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (Bible, 1 Corinthians 13:4)
If you are will be guided by it, your life will change forever.
I wish you love and light!
- READ ALSO: How to cope with an unanswered love?