Who tops the list of the richest footballers in Africa? What do we know about this person? And what is his net worth? You can find these answers here.
The football players are among the wealthiest athletes, especially the ones that made it to the top and were offered beneficial contracts and terms at major football clubs of the world. And why should not they be? It takes much time, talents, determination and discipline to become the best in the world’s sports arena. And people should be paid for those efforts.
In this article, we will talk more about those most outstanding football players that top the list of the best athletes of Africa and their net worth. The information in this article will be given based on the Forbes investigation of the issue.
List of Africa’s ten richest football players in 2016
- Samuel Eto’o (He would have owned almost $120 million, but considering generous donation she made to several charity organizations and his lifestyle, he is known to have around $90 million)
- Didier Drogba (He now gets around $5.2 million a year from Galatasaray; however, he has also signed several beneficial contracts, which gives him much more than this a year. The highest salary he has ever made was at Shanghai Shenhua where he made more than $320,000 a week)
- Yaya Toure (He is also among the richest football players in Africa since he makes around fifteen million USD a year at Manchester City)
- Emmanuel Adebayor (He is number four among the wealthiest footballers of Africa with the net worth of $27 million; the biggest issue around his name is that he is often involved in conflicts. However, he is also known to be an initiator and a sponsor of many charitable events in Africa)
- Michael Essien (Even though according to his net worth, this football player is number five on our list, Forbes state that he used to be the all-time most expensive athlete. This is so given his transfer from Lyon to Chelsea for almost 25 million GBP)
- Kolo Toure (his net worth today is around 18 million USD; he is famous for playing at three major football clubs of England. He is one of the siblings that are paid tons of money for being amazing athletes)
- John Obi Mikel (The total net worth of this footballer is around fifteen million dollars. He makes at least five million dollars a year for playing for Chelsea and helping it win the Premier and Champions League)
READ ALSO: UEFA Champions League 2016: Fixtures & Teams
- Frédéric Kanouté (His net worth is around twelve million USD. This football player made it to the list of the richest Africa’s football players thanks to winning African Player of the Year in 2007. Right now he is playing for Beijing Guoan in the Chinese Super League where he receives at least four million dollars a year. His biggest expense in the recent years was purchasing a private mosque)
- Seydou Keita (He owned as much as ten million dollars and used to play at Chinese Super League Club with Dalian Aerbin FC as well as French Ligue 1 and Sevilla.)
- Christopher Samba (The net worth of this football player is eight million. He used to play for Anzhi Makhachkala where he got his biggest paycheck with $160,000 a week)
Now as you know the names of all the richest footballers of Africa, let’s learn more about the first one that tops the list. His name is Samuel Eto’o. He was born in Cameroon in 1981. Here is what trusted sources say about his career achievements: “He is the most decorated African player of all time, having won the African Player of the Year award a record four times: in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2010. He was third in the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2005.”
He used to play for the football club of Real Madrid B as a minor. In January 1999, he was loaned out to Espanyol but failed to make any appearances for the club.
Later he played for La Liga team Mallorca. He was lucky enough to score quite a few goals in the nineteen games he played there. Between 2004 and 2009 his career was centered in Barcelona. “Eto'o scored the opening goal in the 2009 UEFA Champions League Final against Manchester United. Barcelona went on to win the final 2–0, thus completing the Treble. The formidable trio of Lionel Messi (38 goals), Eto'o (36 goals) and Thierry Henry (26 goals) scored exactly 100 goals between them in the club's historic treble year.”
On 29 August 2013, Eto'o signed a one-year deal with English side Chelsea for an undisclosed fee. And then in 2014 he went on to English Premier League side Everton, signing a two-year contract. He left the club in 2014 after scoring several goals in twenty games he had there. Then for two and a half year he signed a deal with Sampdoria in January 2015 until in June he moved to Antalyaspor. He signed a deal for three years there. He first played for the team in August of the last year when he scored two goals against İstanbul Başakşehir. This was a key to winning the game by his team.
Samuel Eto’o is rather energetic as a forward and always tries to outdo himself on the field. He plays perfectly with his feet in the air and is famous for his discipline and determination. That is what helped him win his unbelievably high net worth of one hundred and twenty million dollars and making it to the top of 10 richest football players in Africa.
According to Samuel Eto’o’s words, he found it hard to play at times given racial issues. However, some sources say that “he is one of the several high-profile contemporary players to have reacted to the abuse by threatening to leave the pitch and being outspoken in criticism of their experiences.”
So far, he is an African athlete his country and people can be really proud of. He donates funds to char Samuel Eto’o !ty and supports healthy initiatives. On top of that, his play is often exciting to watch. All in all, way to go!